Monday, February 8, 2016

Red Light, Green Light 1.2.3...

I am a fan of freedom.

It doesn't matter if it is here in the United States or somewhere else in the world, I want people to be happy and free.

Unfortunately, it seems like freedom is becoming a rare commodity.

I was thinking about this on the way to my friends Super Bowl party. Here in the United States we gather with friends and family on the first weekend in February to watch the championship game of American professional football.

On the drive over to my friends house I passed several red light cameras, which were installed to catch people who disobey traffic laws. These cameras also provide a steady stream of revenue for the municipalities they serve.

I thought to myself as I passed several of these cameras...

"What has happened to this country?"

We are now living in the world that George Orwell predicted in the novel "1984". It just took about 32 years after his novel prediction for it to come to fruition.

Cameras and surveillance have become so commonplace that being able to live a life of anonymity has become almost impossible. We are tracked constantly from the metadata in our cellphones to cameras that are located in just about every possible location.

How would our founding fathers feel about this level of surveillance?

I'm sure there would be a lot of broken cameras.

Surveillance is one of the things that scares me the most about modern society. The land of the free and the home of the brave is becoming more and more a distant memory. Now, proponents of surveillance would say that it benefits the populace by having records of illegal activities. Sure, that is a benefit but what about all the negatives that come along with the elimination of privacy?

I survived the red light cameras!

I made it to my friends house and stopped legally at all seven intersections.

Hopefully I won't get a ticket by "accident"

No comments:

Post a Comment